A Platform for Politics from another Perspective
The framework of Young Women’s Parliament was established in 2010 by SHIN and the Women Parliament, with the purpose of promoting gender equality in society at large and young women’s situation in society in particular. Since its establishment 15 gatherings of high-school girls from various places around the country (including 2 in the Knesset) and 2 seminars of leadership training and socializing activities took place. The activity of the YWP is focused at educating and encouraging young girls to become involved, in the near future, in the struggle for gender equality and especially for women’s equal participation in leading society.
The YWP contributes to raising girls’ and young women’s awareness to social inequality at large and to gender inequality in particular; it offers advice and support for local initiatives of girls who strive to change their social environments; it provides leadership skills. Thus, the girls involved in the program can acquire knowledge and understanding of gender power relations in society and gain leadership skills that are required for their involvement in both the personal and public contexts. The girls involved in this framework will, so it is hoped, become committed to social and gender equality; social agents and role models for other young girls; initiate local activities which aim at social justice and gender change; develop friendship with girls from other groups and communities, challenging their stereotypes and miss-conceptions.
Young Women’s Parliament aims at:
Constructing a bridge over divergent backgrounds:
- Develop tolerance and compassion among groups of young women from divergent backgrounds (ethnic, cultural, religious, national, educational, socio-economic etc.) through common activities.
- Encourage friendship between distanced groups of girls (especially among Jewish and Arab girls), challenging the stereotypes and hostility among them.
- Encourage ongoing interactive discussions among young Jewish and Arab young women, on both the local and the national levels.
Sharing gender issues:
- Raise gender awareness among young women.
- Expand the circles of women involved in feminist thinking and activism in Israel.
- Inspire critical thinking of young women with regard to social reality in general and gender-related issues in particular.
- Encourage young women’s involvement in initiatives aimed at social and gender justice;
Encouraging young women’s Leadership:
- Establish an active social-feminist movement of girls from divergent backgrounds.
- Empower young women in terms of standing for their rights.
- Encourage the emergence of young women’s committed leadership.
YWP Meetings, Events and Issues
- Seeds of Change – Skype Call with Young Women from USA, Israel and Kenya (May 2017)
- Meeting with Women from Seattle’s “Center for Women and Democracy” (May 2017)
- Conference on “Racism against Youth – Enforcement, Law and Education” Held in the Knesset (March 2017)
- Social Activism: Creating a New Reality (YWP Session January 2017)
- YWP Local Activities Summary – 2015-2016
- Video Conference-Young Women from Israel the United States and Kenya (November 2016)
- YWP Representatives Meeting with Martin Luther King III (October 2016)
- Challenging Society – Women and Young Women Paving the Way (YWP Session, May 2016)
- Breaking the Silence – Young Women Say no to Sexual Violence (YWP Session, March 2016)
- Initial Thoughts Regarding Gender (YWP Seminar, February 2016)
- Turning strangeness into success (YWP Session, December 2015)
- Young Women Lead Change (YWP Session, February 2015)
- Regarding cleavage and pants – what do my clothes say about me? (YWP Session, December 2014)
- Who is going to take responsibility? (YWP Session, June 2014)
- Young Women’s Leadership Conference 2013 (YWP Session, November 2013)
- Girls, Friendship and Social Networks (YWP Session, June 2013)
- Girls and Rights (YWP Session, February 2013)
- When a Legend Becomes Reality (YWP Session, November 2012)
- Visiting the Knesset under the Auspices of MP Orit Zuaretz (YWP Session, March 2012)
- How does the Use of Sex Influence Girls’ Status? (YWP Session, January 2012)
- Girls Pursue Social Justice (YWP Session, December 2011)
- Visiting Michal Negreen’s Visitors Center (YWP Session, September 2011)
- Is School a Battle Field or a Protecting Shelter for Girls? (YWP Session, November 2010)
- The Power to Change (YWP Session, June 2010)